Tuesday, May 31, 2011

On Taking Risks part I

Well, it has been a while since I blogged.  These things happen.  I've decided that I'm going to blog regularly again, and the way I'm going to implement this intention is by posting on a weekly basis!  About... music stuff still, and also about the rest of my life at times.

I wanted to blog today about taking risks.  When I first started this blog, it felt like a risk.  Putting my real name out there on the net and talking to a bunch of strangers (or nobody, if nobody reads posts) was a step I had to talk myself into.  I did it because I felt it was important for me to feel accountable for some of the goals I set for myself during my sabbatical year, notably - playing music with Elizabeth Riley Band.

And listen, because of writing the blog, I actually made contact with Nat Myles at the Elmdale and that's how we got our first gig.  Pretty damn cool.

Since then, we have played around town quite a bit, with some hiatuses here and there.  We've played some really cool venues, like the atrium of the National Gallery, Raise the Roof Women's Festival in a field near Kingston somewhere, St Brigid's (acoustics wow), bars like the Elmdale and Irene's, and a memorable barn dance out in the Ottawa Valley!  Basically, everything I do with music and performing just fosters a deeper love in me for doing it as much as possible.  It's a good fit.  It feels right.  Being on stage is a really comfortable place for me to be, and feeling connection with other performers and the audience through sharing music KINDA feels like the whole point of living.

This post is getting long, so I'm going to ramble on about taking risks some more in next week's post.  I'm taking some risks in my life these days that feel pretty scary at times, but I've thought about them a lot and they seem like good risks to take.  That's it for now.  Please comment!

No comments: