Sunday, September 25, 2011

Grad school update

A while back I wrote about taking the risk of going back to school after ten years out - well, school has started, and it has been a bit of a bumpy ride so far, but I LOVE IT.  It's such a good feeling to know that it's my 'job' right now to read, write and think about things that are interesting to me.  And then I get to talk about them with other people who are also interested in the same obscure things!  It's a lot of work, but it's fun.

The biggest task upon entry is writing a SSHRC application.  IF my application is successful (it has to make it through several hoops for this to happen), I could get lots of money for several years!  That would be awesome and buy me the time I need to really hunker down, focus and get it done in 5 years without worrying as much about money... So we'll see how it goes.  But even if my application doesn't make it through all the hoops, writing the proposal has been an immense learning experience so far.  Also exhausting.  And... I have to go work on it now.

1 comment:

Jen G said...

update... :( my proposal didn't make it through even the first hoop! but I found out afterwards that people are usually more successful the second time around - so, next year I'll try again. and there are other grants, fellowships etc that I can apply for. onwards and upwards!